Frequently Asked Questions

Application and Selection

Admission of students to the undergraduate programs of our university is done centrally by OSYM. The placement is made within the quotas recommended by the university each year and approved by the Council of Higher Education (YÖK).


Students are required to submit  their "Health Board Report" and the "Pulmonary TBC", "PA Lung" film and the report taken from TB dispensary in a closed envelope with the candidate's name, surname and ID number at the registration to İzmir University of Economics School of Applied Management Sciences Department of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts (English) 

The Health Board Report should be taken from specialists of internal medicine, otorhinolaryngology, chest diseases, orthopedics, neurology, psychiatry and other necessary services of a full-fledged hospital (may be a state hospital, university hospital or private hospital). Hepatitis Test (Hepatitis B, C Markers, HBS Ag, Anti HBS, Anti-HCV); HIV Testing; nose-throat culture examinations; porter test, Gaita Microscopy, Gaita Culture assay results should be clearly stated and the report should indicate that "The person is suitable for taking part in all kinds of food production and culinary management processes, both physically and mentally".

In addition to above mentioned requirements, report should also assess the suitability of candidate in terms of chronic and infectious diseases,neurological and orthopedic barriers to use knives and similar kitchen utensils which require hand skill, sense loss (sight, hearing, taste etc.), illness or discomfort, mental illness which may interfere working in kitchen conditions due to intense education that may prevent the person to work in the service sector.

Quota, Scholarships and Tuition Fees

Department of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts 

Full Educational Scholarship (100%):


Scholarship for All High School Graduates (%50)


Scholarship for All High School Graduates (%25)







Courses and Internships

The graduation certificate that is given by the school is same with the faculties. There is no difference. The graduated students can apply to the master program to both national and international universities.

As all our courses are delivered in English, students that fail the English Proficiency examination must attend the English Preparatory Program in order to start their undergraduate programs and comprehend their undergraduate courses.

In the first year, students mainly take university compulsory courses. In the second year, most of the courses are related to culinary arts and management. In third and fourth years, students mainly get hands on education.

Students must complete 3 internships in order to graduate. All students have to work in a professional kitchen for 20 working days in the first and second years and for 60 working days in the third year.

Our department has a cooperation agreement with Les Toques Blanches Lyonnaises, which is in Lyon, France. Students, at the end end of their 3rd year, may complete their 60-day obligatory internship in Lyon in hot cooking or pastry/bakery fields in case of approvement of their application by French Chefs. This cooperation gives students an opportunity to gain experience abroad.

The Department has also Erasmus Agreement with Institut Paul Bocuse in Lyon, France and Instituto Politecnico di Guarda in Portugal.

No. Students can conduct their internship at a local or foreign company that they will prefer for their area of interest.

The first two compulsory internships, which is for 20 working days, can be done in the kitchen or administrative departments. However, the 3rd internship, which is for 60 working days, must be done in the kitchen.

However, students are not allowed to do more than one internship at the same place and must obtain the approval of the internship committee on the suitability of the internship place.

Students need to acquire their uniform sets when culinary courses start at the beginning of the 1st term of the first year of the B.Sc. program.

Students need to obtain their knife sets when culinary courses start at the beginning of the 1st term of the first year of the B.Sc. program.

Students need to acquire their uniform set, knife set and kitchen equipment that comply with the standards set by the Culinary Arts and Management Department, when culinary courses start at the beginning of the 1st term of the first year of the B.Sc. program.

The price and the companies that the students can obtain will be announced iat the beginning of each academic year.

In addition to our undergraduate degree programs, our students are given the opportunity to study in a major program to allow them to have a second undergraduate diploma (double major) or a specific field knowledge in a different program within the university (minor). Students who want to do a double major (DMP) and fulfill the necessary conditions can apply the earliest at the third semester and the latest at the fifth semesters of the main program. Those who want to make a minor can apply the earliest at the third semester and the latest at the sixth semesters.

The application, quota and conditions are announced by the school before the application deadline, and the applications are made on the dates announced as on the academic calendar. For more information visit and

As per the rules and regulations of YÖK (The Council of Higher Education), each student is required to complete the program within seven (7) academic years (14 academic semesters). The Preparatory English Program is not included in the maximum period of study.

Graduates of the Department of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts can work as a;

-Chef at different positions in the kitchen hierarchy,

-An expert at the administrative level of the food and beverage industry or,

-An instructor chef at universities or academies by improving themselves academically.

Graduates working as chefs in the industry can choose to run their own business or work in hotels, airlines, cruise ships, catering companies, food production companies; there are also graduates who work for or run companies that supply culinary products and raw materials to the industry.

Our graduates are continuing their postgraduate studies in business administration, tourism administration, economics, gastronomy and food design. You can continue to study in areas except these areas as well. You must be successful in the examinations and interviews of the relevant educational institutions to continue your studies.

For all your inquiries you can contact the secretariat of the department. Your inquiry will be dispatched to respective person accordingly.

Tel: 0232 488 8144



Quota, Scholarships and Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are determined by the decision of the board of trustees. For more information on this subject, please visit

Scolarships are valid as long as conditions are aligned with IUE Scholarship Regulation